Saturday 10 March 2007

Ok here's my reflection on the YEG. It's gonna be a long one, so sit back and relax =)
Well I once wondered why Singapore was considered a 'Green/Garden City' with litter all over the place. Maybe it was the trees and flowers, but in my mind, a garden is incomplete if there are litter 'decorating' the place.
As you people know, littering is one of the most serious problem to the environment, not only in Singapore, but all over the world. Maybe life's just too good, resulting in such irresponsible acts. Admit it or not, I believe that most people have at least litter not only once, but a few times if not more. It seems like littering is part of our life.
Joining the YEG, I feel honoured to be given the chance to attempt stopping this major problem in the world, as if it succeeds in my country, do not rule out the possibility of the message being spread to various countries, as what we, the YEGs, are doing might make a great impact to this world, extending the lifespan of the Earth.
I will not go into Geography lessons about global warming, pollution, etc, but this long list of problems that littering cause just shows us the impact littering has on this world.
I believe that the suggestions that we have raised will be successful, maybe not now, but in the future, if the message is spread throughout the people. We might make only a small impact, but with the cooperation of the majority, this small impact will become a great impact.
Lastly, I feel that it is important that we must first set an example and not litter. By doing this, we are not only teaching the public not to litter, but we are showing them how to prevent littering. I also believe that people will learn faster in a fun environment, therefore I will like to see more opportunities to organise roadshows in the future.

Kenneth Lim, 4J